SGS in Romania
In 1922, we established our operations at the major Danube port in Braila, at a time when it was the second largest international trade market for grains after Chicago. Until 197, we operated under the name Jacques Salmanowitz - Société Anonyme Roumaine de Surveillance. In 1992, we reestablished SGS Romania SA, with headquarters in Bucharest.
Today, we are the country’s leading private provider of inspection, certification, verification and testing services, delivering trust between people, organizations and governments.
We serve a wide range of industries through our nine business divisions:
- Agriculture, Food and Life (AFL)
- Environment, Health and Safety (EHS)
- Certification and Business Enhancement (CBE)
- Consumer and Retail (CRS)
- Industrial (IND)
- Minerals (MIN)
- Oil, Gas, and Chemical (OGC),
- Government and Institutions Services (GIS)
- Transportation (TRP)
We are able to provide services across the entire country with an extensive network of offices and laboratories in Romania’s main cities and ports – Brăila, Constanta, Craiova, Cluj Napoca, Drobeta Tr Severin, Galaţi, Iaşi, Pitesti, Ploieşti, Slatina, Tg Jiu, Timişoara and more.
Our Constanta Office, located in the largest Romanian Black Sea port, hosts our agricultural and mineral laboratory, accredited according to ISO 17025. In Ploiesti, we operate a network of laboratories for environment and oil and gas laboratories, one located in the OMV Petrom Brazi refinery and the second in the Lukoil Petrotel refinery.
Our office in Cluj Napoca has a non-destructive testing (NDT) mobile laboratory for metal testing, authorized by the local authority ISCIR.
We offer long-established local experience and a certified integrated management system, according to ISO 9001, ISO 14001, and OHSAS 18001. We act as a Type A inspection body according to ISO 17020, and we are your ideal partner for:
- A wide range of agriculture and food services, including inspection of stock inventory, loading and unloading supervision, and audits for food products and sustainability services, such as ISCC audit and certification
- Transportation services, addressing a wide range of transportation industries and means, e.g. off-lease inspections, remarketing inspections and new vehicle stock inventories, statutory inspections, new vehicles inspections and logistic services
- Industrial manufacturing and construction services, including statutory and voluntary inspections, project management, project supervision, project monitoring and regulatory compliance. We also offer a range of regulatory services, including health and safety coordination for construction sites and supply chain services
- Environment, health and safety services including full packages of analytical services, e.g. field services, samples managements and laboratory services. Health and safety services include industrial hygiene services, based on EU and local legislation, such as HSE construction supervision, conformity audits, energy audits, waste characterization and testing, and environmental due diligence (EDD)